During the warmer weather, certain insects and pests tend to be more active. If you’re trying to enjoy time in your pool, have a backyard BBQ or just spend time outdoors reading your favorite book, coming back inside with your body covered in mosquito bites can be annoying, to say the least.
If you’re particularly allergic to mosquitoes, the bites could be very dangerous. It is essential to call in the help of a pest control company to make sure your home and yard are free of mosquitoes,
Getting Rid of Mosquitoes
Below we list a few home remedy solutions, however, these are only temporary fixes and will only get rid of the mosquitoes in the immediate area where you apply these options.
- Spray your doorways and windowsills with lavender or basil oil. Mosquitoes hate the smell of these oils. When they encounter them, they’ll be repelled and hopefully fly in the other direction
- Set up an oscillating fan outdoors so that mosquitoes won’t interrupt your picnic or outdoor get-together. You can also install an oscillating fan in your window to force mosquitoes in the opposite direction of your home. Can be a bit annoying entertaining by an oscillating fan.
- Combine sugar and hot water together and place it in a 2-liter bottle after cutting the top of the bottle off. Adding a little yeast to the mixture will also attract mosquitoes and they’ll be trapped in the mixture before they know it.
- If you have a chimney or outdoor fireplace, you can burn pinion wood to keep mosquitoes out of that area. The wood has a pungent aroma that mosquitos are not attracted to.
- Squirt a few drops of lemon dish detergent onto some paper plates and place the plates on the table where you’ll be eating. The scent will appeal to the mosquitoes. They will be so focused on the detergent that they won’t disturb your meal. You can dispose of them once they get on the plate. Sounds like a good idea, however, cannot imagine eating while mosquitoes are flocking to a plate next to mine.
- Keep mosquitoes from breeding by sprinkling some ground coffee in the free-standing water around the areas on your property. This prompts the eggs to come to the surface and they won’t be able to get oxygen.
- A zapper device can keep mosquitoes away from the immediate area, as well. Set this up in a dark area of your home or yard. The zapper will attract mosquitoes and zap them when they get close to the device.
Of course, many of these methods may not be reliable. It is easier, quicker and less stressful to get rid of all mosquitoes the professional way especially if you’ve had a bad mosquito problem in the past. Look for a more permanent solution.
When it comes to NJ mosquito control, NJ Pest has the professional team and equipment for thorough exterminator pest control. NJ Pest will make your mosquito problem a thing of the past. Contact us to learn more. We are ready and happy to help you get rid of your mosquitoes once and for all. Let’s help you enjoy your backyard mosquito free.